Saturday, August 10, 2013

Why I enjoy work.

Saturday was a long day at work. I did four evaluations and saw another patient. This is a lot of documenting! And a test for my brain to recall all the information I obtain. In an inpatient rehab setting occupational therapy helps with dressing, tolieting, bathing, and all those things you do every day without thinking about them! When people lose this ability or even a part of that ability it is huge. I spend time re-teaching dressing using adaptive techniques, educating about shower chairs, helping brush teeth or hair, and applying socks...among many other things! We also work on arm strength, endurance, cooking, and fine motor tasks. Regaining lost function or learning another way is the name of the game.
A few weeks ago, I worked with a gentleman who couldn't lift his hands to feed himself, much less put on his shirt. I got to see him and 3 weeks later he was feeding himself, walking with a walker and more. This is just one example-sometimes they are that extreme, other times less.
I have to admit I love seeing the progress people make, but as I only see them one or two days because of the way I work, I have appreciated getting to know them and what they enjoy and maybe even a little history through my treatment sessions with them. This rehab stay is a piece of their story, perhaps a pivotal point. It's a rewarding job, and worth getting up at 5am on a Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure about 5a on a Saturday, but no doubt it is well worth it and I'm glad to hear that you still enjoy it as much, if not more, than when you started!

    ReplyDelete