Thank God for the spring weather! Finally!!! We have needed to get outside for over a month (without winter coats and umbrellas).
We have a nice routine now, which for those of you who know me, know that I like routine! I like predictability. With children, there are predictable factors which I can orchestrate to make my days easier and manageable with things to get done (yes, it takes work) and then there are those things which you can't predict/control. For example, yesterday at the dermatologists office we were waiting for Kinley's appointment and as Olivia is playing with the toys she says "I hear poop" every time she passed gas. Now, I know my child's bowel habits well enough to know she needs a little break. We took a potty break (she peed and was done). Then we went back out to play and wait some more. And she states that she hears poop again and gets an odd look her face (I am just crossing every body part I can for luck that there isn't an accident)...after a few more minutes she decided she did need to use the potty. Success! Not predictable, not controllable, but certainly entertaining for those around us (the waiting room was not that big and it was packed). Or that Olivia has suddenly decided going to sleep at night requires an hour of messing around (in her bed, but still...).
There are tough days, when we have things that need done and not enough attention to be had for the toddler so then behaviors go up. There are tough days where the day drags on because we don't have enough to change up what we are doing (thus the thankfulness for spring weather). There are tough days when Kinley is extra clingy/needy. There are days when I'm tired from a rough night or from dealing with the same toddler behavior for the upteenth time, or from picking up dog pee for the 6th time this week(seriously, Brisco, it's like you know!). And on those days the little things tend to bother me more. I've had to work very hard to keep myself in check and find some little down moments to regroup. And then there are those moments of joy mingled into those days which make everything else pale(seeing Olivia's face when she figures something out, watching Kinley's whole body light up with excitement, hearing Kinley laugh when Olivia does something funny). Each day I look for something that was good, joyful, fun, etc. to help remind me to keep plugging along, putting in work now that will pay off in the future. And I know that even though I've sacrificed some of my freedom for the responsibility of caring for two spunky, sweet little beings, it is worth every sacrifice! -Sarah
P.S. Thank you Mom for all of your sacrifices--there were many I am sure.
I enjoyed it all even the tough times as I look back. You will too! They are precious times from God.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Thanks Mom! I'm know I will. :)
DeleteAw - this post is a real testament to everyone. It's important to share your struggles and I know that I am learning lots from the things you are doing now. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary. :)
DeleteI hear ya, sister!
ReplyDelete